Sunday Mass – Timings : 4.30 a.m. & 7.00 a.m., 5.30 p.m
Weekdays : 5.30 a.m
Kavalkinaru was a village, situated at the boundary between Chera and Pandiya Kingdoms. It seems that there was a well and Rest house of the border security force. That is how Kavalkinaru village got its name. Catholic faith entered here in 1700. Kavalkinaru was the substation of Vadakkankulam. In 1843 Rev. Fr. Kasthanier, a Jesuit Priest, built a small chapel here and dedicated it to Sacred Heart of Jesus. From 1911 onwards Kavalkinaru started functioning as a separate parish. Our Lady of Ransom became the patroness. Panagudi, Vallioor, Eruvadi, Thirukarungudi and Nanguneri were its substations. Rev. Fr. G. Siluvai laid the foundation for a spacious Church in 1933. All the succeeding parish priests took efforts in constructing the Church and in 1961 on the feast of Sacred Heart the Church was blessed when Rev.Fr. Maria Kagoo was parish priest. The Church construction was completed in 1970 by Rev. Fr. T.M. Ambrose. Already there was a presbytery when Kavalkinaru was a substation to Vadakkankulam and Rev. Fr. Jerald S. Ravi built the new presbytery. Centinary Jubilee of the parish (1911-2011) was celebrated in 2011. In remembrance of the occasion, a Marriage Hall was constructed by Rev. Fr. Stalin, the present parish Priest.
There is a grotto of Our Lady of Fatima at Kavalkinaru junction. Behind the grotto stands the Mahendragiri hill where on 13.05.1957 Rev.Fr. Aloy Navamony placed a cross. Annai Vailankanni shrine at Punniyavalanpuram by the national highways attracts a lot of pilgrims.
Msgr. Joseph Xavier who was serving as the Episcopal Vicar of Vallioor Mandalam hails from this parish.