Cathedral Church of The Redemption

Church of North India

New Delhi, India

Contact

1 Church Road
North Avenue
New Delhi New Delhi, India

Services

English Sung Eucharist at 08.00 AM
Tamil Sung Eucharist at 09.35 AM
Hindi Service at 11:15 AM

Cathedral Church of the Redemption, also known as the Viceroy Church, is a church in New Delhi, India, that was built between 1927 and 1931. The church is located east of Parliament House and Rashtrapati Bhavan, formerly Viceroy House, which was used by then British Viceroy. The Cathedral Church of the Redemption India, is a part of the Delhi diocese of the Church of North India (CNI)[1][2]

The Church derives its name from Palladio's Church of Il Redentore in Venice.

The story of the Cathedral Church of the Redemption India revolves around its journey from an Englishman's congregation to a multicultural one. In its diversity and its community work, the present Church has come to fulfil the founders' vision of a common home, a meeting place for all sects and creeds.

Tucked away from the bustle of New Delhi, in the quiet Church lane north of Jaipur Column and to the west of Parliament House at North Avenue, stands the Cathedral Church of the Redemption India. The Church's centralized plan blends neatly with Sir Edwin Lutyens city plan. With Viceroy Lord Irwin's keen support, the Church, built on Henry Alexander Medd's (1892-1977) design, was opened for public worship on Sunday, 18 January 1931. H.A.N. Medd's design was inspired by the Palladio Church of Il Redentore in Venice as well as Lutyens Hampstead church.

The Church, a witness to nearly eight decades of history, is a sanctuary of quiet meditation, prayer and generous giving. It is home to a vibrant parish and a wonderful tribute to Indian Christian life.

The building was designed by Henry Medd. The cathedral was built in such a manner that even in the extreme summers it remains cool and serene. The church has beautifully curved high arches and delicate domes, which won the heart of the then Viceroy Lord Irwin. The main front dome was so designed; that it should resemble a birthday cake, with a candle placed on top. Probably due to Sir Herbert Baker, who worked with Henry Medd and theory of being Born again, as also Regeneration (theology).