St. Thomas the Apostle Church

Catholic

Goa, India

Contact

Aldona Goa, India

St. Thomas the Apostle Church

0832 – 2293352


Aldona is the seventh parish established by the Franciscans in Bardez. They started their ministry in Coimavaddo, where they built the original church of the village, in the year 1569. Very soon, the need for a bigger and more centrally located church was felt and a second church was built in 1596, at the present location. As this was a mud structure, a new and strong edifice, which exists till date, was made ready before 1610. The parochial residence and the present sacristy were added by 1898 and the tower on the left side came up in 1927.

St. Thomas the Apostle Church, Aldona, Goa is called ‘Sao Tome Igreja em Aldona, Goa’ in Portuguese. The St. Thomas the Apostle Church, Aldona, Goa is popularly called ‘The Aldona Church’ locally in Goa. Aldona is the seventh parish established by the Franciscans in Bardez. The Franciscans started their ministry in Coimavaddo, where they built the original Aldona Church of the village, in the year 1569. Very soon, the need for a bigger and more centrally located church was felt and a second Church in Aldona was built in 1596, at the present location. As this was a mud structure, a new and strong edifice, which exists till date, was made ready before 1610. The parochial residence and the present sacristy to the Aldona Church were added by 1898 and the tower on the left side of the Aldona Church came up in 1927.