Chinna Waltair parish was erected in 1983. Although the Missionaries of St. Francis de Sales were in Visakha from 1846 it was only in 1980 in the Diocese a parish was dedicated to St. Francis de Sales.
As early as 1850 Mgr. Neyret bought a small site of 1045 sq.ft. at Chinna Waltair and a small chapel was built for the Tamil Catholics residing there. It was regularly visited by priests from the For t where the Bishop’s House was situated. It was used as a place of worship till 1939. By the time the number of the catholics went down at Chinna Waltair and the St. Anthony’s Church was built and used as a Parish Church; so the church at Chinna Waltair was rented out to the Municipality for running a school.
In 1960 the Salesianum came into existence at Chinna Waltair and the catholics of the locality began to attend the religious services there. Stella Maris the Provincial House was also established in the same locality in 1966 where also catholics used to attend the Mass.
In 1980 the Diocese got back the rented church, demolished it, and a new church was built in the place of the old one. The new parish is entrusted to the missionaries of St. Francis De Sales.