Kakinada is one of the oldest parishes in the diocese. It was star ted by the French Missionaries in 1839. Records reveal that the first Baptism was given on 14th January 1841 by Rev. Attaide. The present Church and the presbytery were constructed at the time of Bishop Tissot and Fr. Decompoix as Parish Priest. This church was hit by the severe cyclone in 1996 and major repairs were made by the present parish priest, Fr. Mathew Kannipally.
Firstly the people of European Origin, Anglo- Indians, Tamils, Telugu employees and business men from Kerala, Bombay, Calcutta and other states were the parishoners. At present, the majority of catholics is locals especially from fishermen community, S.C., and F.C. communities. There are churches belonging to other denominations around our church in a large number which hampers fur ther development of this parish, which was one of the ancient of all the parishes in our diocese. Kakinada II was formed from in the year 2004.